Monday, August 24, 2009

Lazy Sunday

The Enemy?













Sunday was such a great day. Today I have a headache which makes everything turn a shade of gray and the giant mower outside my window isn’t helping. It’s ‘lawn care’ day at our subdivision. Once a week, a man riding a machine the size of a medium sized dinosaur comes hacking down the side of the road drowning out all sound, making the ground quake and children run. Bodie is looking at me nervously and sniffing at the sharp scent of freshly chopped grass.

Back to yesterday, it was lovely. It started off with Rog and I sleeping in very, late. In typical Sunday fashion we eschewed church and instead spent the larger part of the afternoon at the pool. It was a perfect day as the water matched the color of the sky and the huge clouds reflected in the azure water. Kids were splashing around in the shallow end, teenagers were trying to out shine each other at the dive pool and the athletes among the group were focused and doing freestyle in the lap section. It’s the biggest pool I’ve ever been to and it takes a good ten minutes to navigate from one end to the other. It’s not shaped like a boring old rectangle but, instead has waterways, mazes, and even an overhead bridge for foot traffic. Rog and I spent hours swimming lazily and talking about taking a trip to New Mexico. We’ve wanted to go for awhile now and I’m hoping it’s going to be this year. I think it is. I’m a terrible planner and so was happy to find out that Rog had already researched airfares, Inn’s and restaurants. He wants to stay at a place called the “Bobcat Inn.” I think it’s because there is a stuffed Bobcat on the mantelpiece of the main lodge and he finds that amusing. They boast having a coyote fence which I suppose could be thought of as a ‘feature.’ I’m going to make sure that running hot and cold water is also featured.

After all that swimming, we were hungry and so decided to go to dinner and a movie. Dinner was at the ‘China Buffet.’ I always say I won’t go there because I don’t believe that the Chinese have my best interests at heart but then I love the food so much, I go back again. I always enjoy it even while eyeing my eggroll suspiciously, wondering if it contains lead. On Sundays, it’s ‘King Crab’ night. That’s always fun and so Rog and I spent an hour cracking shells like otters and talking about stuff we like to talk about. I spend way too much time rattling on about music and right now I’m way into Daniel Johnston, the well known outsider artist and musician. I love his early albums like, ‘Yip Jump songs’ and ‘Songs of Pain.’ It’s not for everyone though, in fact it’s probably not for most but that’s one of the reasons why I love it.

Our movie choice was ‘Julie and Julia.’ It was very sweet and we really enjoyed Meryl Streep as Julia Childs and the food looked wonderful. It’s a great movie if you like the Food Network, which I do. I’m not a bad cook, lazier than most, but when I do cook, it’s pretty good. I’ll end this blog with a summer recipe.


Summer Squash Wrap

1 small onion, diced
4 medium to large yellow squash (sliced into strips)
1 small bell pepper, diced
Grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper, seasoning
Sour cream
Flour tortillas (Wholefoods brand)
Grilled chicken cut into strips
Sauté onion and bell pepper in a tablespoon of really good olive oil until slightly browned. Add squash strips and sauté until squash are tender and slightly browned at the edges. They should taste kind of caramelized.
Sprinkle grated cheese on wraps and warm wraps in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
Add enough of the squash mixture to fill. Add a dollop of sour cream and a few strips of chicken. Roll it up and eat it. It’s yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment